The Seabury Tides

local stories by student journalists

The Seabury Tides

The Seabury Tides

Making history: Tyler Loree crowned MIL and Hawaii state champion

Daniel Arashiro-Garcia places 5th at state
Star Advertiser
Tyler Loree, right, embraces team mate Daniel Arashiro-Garcia on the 18th green after the final round of the 2024 HHSAA Boys Golf championship.

For Seabury Hall’s Tyler Loree, capturing the MIL crown has become routine. On Saturday, April 20th, Loree won a consecutive MIL championship title after posting a 65-75-70-75–285, 3-under-par total at the Waiehu Municipal, Royal Kaanapali, King Kamehameha and Makena courses over the last two weekends. 

Tyler Loree takes a swing during an MIL golf match earlier this season. (Darrell Wong)

Loree, a junior, beat MIL runner-up Renner Chumley of Maui Prep by six strokes and Chris Salem was seven more strokes back in third, clenching his consecutive state berth in the David S. Ishii Foundation/HHSAA state tournament at the Kaneohe Kilpper Course on Oahu.

“I feel like I played great,” Loree said moments before donning a championship gold medal. “

All four courses were in great shape. I just hit the ball really well all week, putted really well, took advantage of the par-5s, but it means so much to win this two years in a row.”

Seabury senior Daniel Arashiro-Garcia ended up finishing the MIL tournament in sixth place, securing himself a state berth as well. 

“The MIL is so good, the competitiveness,” Loree added. “The MIL is just well-run, too. It’s just, like, everyone looks forward to the end of the season for the MILs. It’s an awesome event and it’s the highlight of the season, for sure. So, it’s awesome to win it two years in a row.”

But the story doesn’t end there.

Daniel Arashiro-Garcia watches his tee shot from the 13th tee during the final round of the 2024 HHSAA Boys Golf championship at Kaneohe Klipper Course on Wednesday, May 1, 2024, in Kaneohe. (Star Advertiser)

After finishing state runner-up last year, Loree bounced back on May 1st to claim the crown as the 2024 David S. Ishii Foundation / HHSAA Boys Golf state champion! Loree’s state title is the first in school history and only the second individual state golf title in MIL history. The MIL has only one boys individual state high school champion ever, Maui High’s William Coelho in 1988. 

His teammate, Arashiro-Garcia, placed 5th, making the Spartans the MIL’s top two finishers in the state tournament.

Over the two-day tournament at the Kane’ohe Klipper Course on Oahu, Loree went -3, beating second place by four strokes. In round one, Loree shot a tournament-best 69 and followed it up with a 72 on day two. Arashiro-Garcia finished day one in 7th place, then shot 73 on day two to finish the tournament in 5th place.

Loree, who has verbally committed to play golf collegiately at UCLA, along with his teammates and coaches, were greeted by family and friends at the Kahului Airport upon returning home from the tournament. 

Family and friends greet Loree, Daniel and coaches Jake Grodzinsky, Jay Brown, and K at the Kahului Airport after returning home from the state tournament on May 1, 2024.
(Courtesy photo)