Seabury’s sophomores are set to share Shakespeare with the community

Seabury's sophomores are set to share Shakespeare with the community

Sophomores Moselle Sandler, Kala'i Greig, Storm Markham, Kaimana Neil, and Ben Cooper will present a scene from William Shakespeare's play "Much Ado About Nothing" on Friday, Dec. 6 during the annual Shakespeare Festival.

“You cankerblossom!”

“You scullion!”

“You knave!”

These are just a few of the Shakespearean insults you will hear students hurl to one another across Seabury Hall’s campus on Friday, Dec. 6 when the sophomore class transports students and faculty back to Elizabethan England during the annual Shakespeare Festival. The event celebrates Shakespeare’s life and plays, as well as the sophomores’ surprising ability to become amazing actors when given a challenge. It is a long-enduring tradition that students and faculty look forward to all year.

“This festival is part of the heritage of Seabury Hall. The Shakespeare Festival is not only a learning experience for the present sophomores, but it is also a rite of passage that the sophomores will share with years of students ahead and behind them,” said sophomore English teacher Mrs. McLeod, who has helped the 78 sophomores plan and prepare for the event, along with Mrs. Sefton and Mr. Strohecker.

Although the festival will only be held in the morning, the sophomores have to put a lot of hard work into preparing their performances. The process began the sophomores’ World Literature classes where they were assigned to their groups and selected the scenes they will portray. After the initial planning and arrangements, the students completed much of the needed research, preparation, and practice independently.

Mrs. McLeod explained their journey, stating, “The first thing that the students do is they get into groups and they look at a variety of scripts and play. They look at the backgrounds of the plays to see which ones they’re most interested in, and after that point, they choose a particular scene and begin crafting it for the people in the group.”

Although the Shakespeare Festival seems like it has always been a part of Seabury Hall, the fair was originally a medieval fair. This fair was more for history class than it was for English class, and the fair explored traditions and customs of the 13th and 14th centuries.

“I’m nervous but at the same time excited,” said sophomore Logan King, who shares the sentiment of many of his peers has they prepare to finally perform their projects.

Shakespeare Festival veterans have some advice to help this year’s sophomores prepare for the event. Junior Corin Nishimoto said, “Don’t procrastinate learning your lines. Like all classes if you stay on top of your work, you will be successful.”

“You have to take it seriously,” senior Rui-Li Inge advised. She added, “Just enjoy it. Don’t make it seem like its so hard, actually enjoy it.”

If you are wondering how to have to the best experience as an audience member, Mrs. McLeod has some advice for you. “It is good to pay attention to the play summary just before each scene so that the audience has a better understanding of what the scene is about.  Also, we hope that the audience will be forgiving of anything that is less than perfect and simply enjoy the performance,” she stated.

The entire Seabury Hall community is looking forward to the Shakespeare Festival this year. The students and teachers involved have put in a lot of time and effort to make this a fun and successful event.