Seabury Hall students and faculty make a difference on Community Day

The+class+of+2014+partnered+with+the+Maui+Invasive+Species+Committee+to+prevent+the+spread+of+coqui+frogs+at+the+Kihei+Gardens+and+Landscaping+Company+in+Wailuku.+

Michael Stone

The class of 2014 partnered with the Maui Invasive Species Committee to prevent the spread of coqui frogs at the Kihei Gardens and Landscaping Company in Wailuku.

On Friday, Nov. 1, Seabury Hall had its eighth annual Community Day. Community Day began in 2006 and has become a Seabury tradition ever since. It is a day for students and faculty at Seabury Hall to give back to the community along with having a fun day out of class.

Each grade participated in Community Day by going to a different location in the community to help clean up or donate their time to help others.

Overall, each class enjoyed not only leaving campus for most of the day but also giving back to the community and showing that they really do care.

Each classes’ unique task pleased the beneficiaries of their service. The faculty was also very pleased with the outcome. Dean of Students Louis Turbeville agreed that the students were very helpful and acted very appropriately. “All the students did a great job!” said Turbeville.

The sixth graders went to Hale Mahaolu, a non-profit corporation that assists and houses the elderly of Maui, to clean and spend time with the senior citizens. As their first year participating in Community Day, the sixth graders were excited to get outside of the school and help the members of the community.

The seventh graders went to Hale Makua, another non-profit organization that houses and takes care of Maui’s kupuna and elderly, to socialize and help clean the facility. The students made cookies to give to the people residing at Hale Makua, and the students also spent time visiting with residents.

The eighth graders went to Paeloko Farm to plant and learn about Hawaii’s native plants. The farm is also a learning facility used to teach students about the native plants and culture in Hawaii.

Most of the upper schoolers went out into the community. However, the freshman class, stayed on campus this year to give back and clean up the school. The freshman chose the unique task of staying on campus because most of the students are new and it was a good way for them to get a better feel of the campus. The freshman cleaned up the PAS, CAC, gym, library, and dining hall. Many of the freshman agreed it was an enjoyable and fun way to give back to the community and the school.

Freshman Lacey Santos said, “It was really fun, and even though we stayed on campus, I still enjoyed being able to give back and help others.”

The sophomores went to the Maul Coastal Land Trust in Waihe’e and explored Maui’s natural beauty by cleaning and learning about the natural resources of Maui. The students had a great time and returned back to campus with smiles on their faces.

The junior class went to the Laie Wetlands pond in Kihei to learn about Hawaii’s native species as well as help clean and make the land more enjoyable for the species that live there. Many of the juniors enjoyed the experience and would be glad to do it again.

The senior class chose a more unique task for Community Day; they helped eliminate coqui frogs at the Kihei Gardens and Landscaping Company. They cleaned up the land where the frogs were living by removing unused planting containers and clearing brush.

Senior Jacob Higa said, “I enjoyed getting out of school and being able to help the community with such a unique task, such as helping with coqui frog eradication.”

The school plans on continuing the tradition of Community Day next year, and the students are looking forward to another day of helping the community.

Seniors Celia Boone and Carly O'Donnell collect unused planting containers at the Kihel Gardens and Landscaping Company in Wailuku.
Seniors Celia Boone and Carly O’Donnell collect unused planting containers at the Kihel Gardens and Landscaping Company in Wailuku.