Come to Seabury Hall’s EdTalks, where learning is not about the grade

Lea Stuart, Staff Writer

At Seabury Hall, the EdTalks program helps students understand the concept of something better, while getting to know new people within the community. The EdTalks take place during lunch, specifically during the last 20 minutes, as well as after school.

Linda Lindsay, who is Seabury Hall’s librarian, is one of the coordinators of the EdTalks series. “The Edtalks are an opportunity for a learning experience that is not related to a grade. It’s learning for learning’s sake,” Lindsay said.

The EdTalks are also a great way to bring a community together to share knowledge about something with one another. “People sharing what they learned with others,” according to Lindsay.

The EdTalks definitely incorporate variety in their discussion topics. Sometimes students talk about their hobbies. Other times people come in and talk about business and the fundamentals of it.

Lindsay stated that one of the first topics that has ever been discussed in an EdTalk was an environmental topic. Once again, topics do vary, “It could be school related, or it could be, maybe hearing about something and asking a student,” she said.

There are also some very exciting discussions coming up as well for the EdTalks “[One EdTalk coming up is] making for others, but they’re not calling it that… But it’s going to be making customer satisfaction… creating a product for a customer,” Lindsay stated.

The EdTalks are open not only to the people in the Seabury Hall community but also to others, basically to anyone on the island. “Sometimes we will have people come in from the outside, or students,” Lindsay said.

Lindsay stated that she believes that this is the third year the EdTalks has been an official program open to the public, and that the main people associated with project are her and Dr. Casey Asato, who is a history teacher in the Upper School of Seabury Hall.

When Lindsay was asked if she thinks that the EdTalks will make a difference within the school, she said, “Yes, it may not be apparent, although people appreciate it…and it’s totally voluntary.”

Since the EdTalks program was established relatively recently, Lindsay and the other people who are a part of the project would like more and more people to attend. It’s fun, educational, and a great way to meet new people.

“We only get two people that show up, or we might a dozen people that show up, so it could be immediate gratification,” said Lindsay.