Seabury Hall’s girls cross country team races towards the ending of an undefeated season

Erica Pilotin, Staff Writer

On September 30, the Seabury Hall Girls Cross Country team crushed the competition by having nine girls in the top 12 finishers at the MIL race held on the campus of Kamehameha Schools Maui in Pukalani.

The Spartans finished with a winning score of 16 points, just one point shy of a perfect score. Their 16 point finish was also 66 points under the second place team, Maui High, which received a score of 86.

The team moved to Division I at the beginning of this season due to their previous accomplishments, and they continued to dominate the competition by finishing with the most runners in the top 15.

This past race, senior Veronica Winham, sophomore Kallalei Ryden, senior Darby Mulligan, and junior Chloe Gagnath, lead the pack around the first turns of the course and they continued to keep the competition off for the rest of the race. (Veronica Winham is a writer for the Seabury Tides)

The course on the campus proved to be a challenge for most of the runners, due to its many hills and confusing pathways. But the girls were ready for the violent hills because they knew how to use them to their advantage, said the team.

Unlike most other courses of this season which are three laps of the same path, the Kamehameha course consisted of two unique laps. On top of this, the runners were not allowed to walk the course beforehand because of security reasons. So the first time runners saw the course was during the actual race, putting their trust in the officials to point them in the correct direction.

On the second lap of the course, Winham who lead the pack took a hard left instead of continuing forward, needing to turn around after the official realized they had pointed in the wrong direction, and yelled for her to come back.

“It didn’t mess up my time too much, but I think mentally it affected me,” Winham said she had also taken a wrong turn due to a distracted official the year before.

This was the last race the team would run all together. Some girls are participating in an off island race this weekend on Oahu, while the rest of the team stays on Maui to run in the last regular season race. The Junior Varsity Championship will take place next weekend and the Varsity level MIL Championships will be held on October 21. The final race of the season is the State Championship Race on October 28 at Island High School on Kauai.

The Seabury Hall Girls Cross Country Team has won the Division II state title for five years in a row, and this year they hope to clinch a different championship by running with the Division I schools, such as Kamehameha Kapalama and Punahou, which is the 2016 Girls Cross Country State Champion.

Winham lead the pack by finishing with a time just under 21 minutes, and Ryden finished closely behind her. Not soon after, Mulligan and Gagnath ran through the finish line giving Seabury Hall the top four places of the race.

Elizabeth Thibaudeau was the next Seabury finisher to cross the line in 6th place, and Maile Dougherty and Ameera Waterford finished in the 7th and 8th positions. Then Bella Lallo and Elly Swartz were the last Seabury runners to finish in the top 12 by placing 11th and 12th, respectively.

Kira Caterina finished 17th, Kelsie Sparks finished 32nd, Lily McLeod finished 33rd, Taysia Pimentel finished 37th, Sophia Horovitz finished 38th, and Sienna Bigelow finished 59th. All of the girls finished strong, and left the competition in the dust.