Lady Spartans sweep Haleakala Waldorf in straight sets

Tatum Hoshino, Staff Writer

After playing Haleakala Waldorf on September 29, the Lady Spartans remain undefeated. The girls worked hard, and they were cheered on from all grades of Seabury.

Seabury Hall beat Waldorf in three sets (25-13, 25-10, 25-14.) Senior Erica Pilotin had 14 kills, 5 aces, and 4 digs. (Pilotin is also a writer for the Seabury Tides.) Junior Isabel Bennett had 18 kills, 1 ace, and 2 digs. Senior Kiana Hyman had 1 kill, 32 assists, and 2 digs. Senior Sydney Walker had 4 kills, 3 aces, 1 block, and 1 dig.

The Lady Spartans volleyball team is undeniably talented. No team has been able to figure them out with a record of 9-0. They continue on their journey this season with hard work and dedication.

After their win, Coach Scotty Zucco had a few words about the game: “I’m always proud of the girls. We’re having a lot of fun this year and seniors is having a lot of fun. I think the number one thing is to have fun and play sports, get noticed by other kids in school. The kids are always getting better. We try and play everyone as much as possible so everyone has a chance to get better.”

Pilotin is the Lady Spartans team captain. Considering this is Pilotin’s last year, she has a lot of people she would like to acknowledge that has been with her from the start. “I mostly want to thank my good friend, Kiana Hyman, sheʻs been by my side since freshman year when we were the only freshman on the varsity team, and itʻs just been me and her all the way and I just have a lot of love for her,” Pilotin said.

This year for the Lady Spartans, they have a very special freshman on the team: Ella Connor. She is the only freshman on the varsity team and is the starting middle blocker.

The Lady Spartans do not do everything alone. Along with the support of their coaches, there is one person on which the team also depends: their manager, Lucy Dustman. She has been the volleyball manager since the beginning of the year.

Dustman also won athlete of the month for Seabury Hall, the first manager in Seabury Hall history to win Athlete of the Month.

On Friday, October 6, the Lady Spartans will go against Lanaʻi Pine Lasses on the island of Lanaʻi. Next weekend, the Lady Spartans will go against Hana. If the Spartans get a win, they will automatically go to states, considering they would be the 1st in the MIL.