Mrs. Karmen Brown welcomes students to Seabury’s Upper School office

Tatum Hoshino, Staff Writer

Mrs. Karmen Brown is the first face you see when you walk into the Seabury Hall’s Upper School Office. A positive and hardworking person, Brown is always looking for a better way to do things.

Brown is the new registrar for Seabury Upper School, and she works very close with Mr. Scott Winham, the head of the upper school.

Winham describes Brown as a very hard working individual who is also very creative saying, “Sheʻs always looks for better ways to do things.”

In high school, Brown participated in cheerleading and volleyball up until her junior year. Brown claims that the schools she went too were very “country” and compared to Seabury, “[they] didn’t have the cool electives and opportunities.”

Brown moved to Maui in 2003, and she only planned on living and staying here for a year. She says that her career path was actually taking a turn for sales and marketing. Before coming to Seabury, Brown worked at Dakine Clothing and Accessories for a while.

“There’s a lot of record keeping and information processing for this position. Still kind of learning the role,” said Brown. She is the registrar, and scheduling which goes hand-in-hand with Scott Winham the head of the upper school.

“Her role is very important to ensure everything goes smoothly in terms of the course and process, schedule and transcripts, and the everyday students’ wants and needs. Her positive attitude allows her to problem solve with students and parents,” said Winham.

“Itʻs really cool to get to know the students here and faculty. It takes a year to feel out especially in a job like this where you have some flexibility and do things that have may never been done before, and realize where you can step up your game. The first year is really a learning year,” said Mrs.Brown

Brown said that one of the main reasons why the office is so important for the students is the college counseling office. She also says that she is also there for students for emotional support, or when a student just wants to say hello.

Brown said that “Now in this day in age, there’s a lot of people that go to school for one thing, and then they don’t actually do that thing in life. It’s really hard to pick something when you’re young that you think you’re going to do for the rest of your life.”

If you are ever in need of help with your schedule or simply just need a kind word, Mrs. Brown is available in the Upper School office to say hello and offer a welcoming smile.