Awesome acaí bowls: Your guide to this tasty treat that Seabury Hall students love

Alex Abraham, Staff Writer

What’s been the latest food trend on Maui and especially in the Seabury Hall community? That would be the acaí bowl! These fresh and delicious bowls have become a popular food that brings purple smiles to students’ faces every day.

Acaí berries come from a palm tree that is native to Central and South America and have a similar antioxidant content to blueberries, raspberries, strawberries, and cranberries. The acaí bowl originated in Brazil and is referred to as acaí na tigela. The trending acaí was not introduced to the United States until the 1990s.

Whether it be a quick breakfast or an easy after school snack, acaí bowl sales on Maui have skyrocketed in the last year and many shops have been opening across the island. Here are some well-known places Seabury students cannot seem to get enough of.

Farmacy Health Bar
12 N Market St, Wailuku, HI
55 Pukalani St. #11, Makawao, HI
For those who want a refreshing and organic bowl of blended acaí berries and locally grown fruits, Farmacy Health Bar is the place for you! Farmacy provides several types of acaí bowls like the Honolua Bowl and Country Cacao Bowl that are full of different layers and flavors. My personal favorite is the Wai Side Poi Bowl. With the acaí on top and a layer of poi on the bottom, the bowl is a perfect combination. Their food is definitely filling, and I personally enjoy the portion sizes they offer. Another aspect of their acaí bowls that I love is the fact that I am able to choose the three fruits I want as toppings from the list they provide daily on their chalk boards. All of the fruits are fresh and local, which makes the bowls have both sweet and tart components.

Choice Health Bar
1087 Limahana Pl, Lahaina, HI
Choice Health Bar is a fun spot to hang out in Lahaina with a hip atmosphere and vibrant walls full of interesting artwork and photographs. Not only does Choice offer tasty acaí bowls, but they also serve a wide variety of smoothies, juices, vitality shots, salads, and soups. The menu definitely tries to provide the healthiest and nutritious foods for their customers. The O.G. acaí bowl is a popular choice and is a great representation of the sweet and simple acaí bowl everyone enjoys. Choice’s acaí bowls are less sweet compared to others I have tried, but they are still delicious. If you prefer a more fruity taste with less added sweeteners, the bowls from Choice Health Bar would probably be great for you. The prices are fairly average as the bowls range from about $9 to $12, but both the quantity and quality are great. The portions are a perfect size and it is evident that Choice prioritizes serving their customers only the best nutritious, organic, and vegan food.

Wow Wow Hawaiian Lemonade
1279 S Kihei Rd. #309, Kihei, HI
Wow Wow Hawaiian Lemonade is an exciting and lively shop in Kihei that offers many acaí bowls, lemonades, smoothies, and raw drinks. When I first walked into the youthful restaurant, I was torn between ordering so many of their acaí bowls because they all sounded so amazing. I decided to try the Haupia Ono Acaí Bowl, and it was absolutely delicious. If you are a fan of coconut, this bowl is for you! All of the bowls include fresh strawberries, blueberries, banana, and granola as their base and then extra toppings and ingredients are added for the specially flavored acaí bowls. Another amazing aspect of Wow Wow Lemonade is their mason jars. Every beverage that is purchased comes in customized glass mason jar that is for the customer to keep. Not only is it a fun jar to keep for the future, but it also adds an aesthetic component to their drinks.

Jamba Juice
270 Dairy Rd. #224, Kahului, HI
700 Waiale Rd, Wailuku, HI
Queen Ka’ahumanu Center, Kahului, HI
Jamba Juice has been a well-known smoothie shop for years now, but it is now a place where students can find their beloved acaí bowls as well. Jamba Juice offers the typical acaí bowl with blueberries, coconut, banana, almonds, and a drizzle of honey. They also offer a mouthwatering chocolate based acaí bowl that includes strawberries and more sweet flavors. The bowls are fresh, delicious, and consist of all of the sought after ingredients people look for in an acaí bowl.

Mo’Ono Hawai’i
591 Haleakala Hwy, Kahului, HI
Mo’Ono Hawai’i food truck is a quick and relaxed place to pick up an acai bowl on the go. Located right across the street from Costco, many students love to stop there after shopping for groceries or filling up gas on the weekends. I loved the particularly sweet acaí topped with fresh bananas, strawberries, coconut, and blueberries. The Mo’Ono Hawai’i truck is fun and colorful, which gives a welcoming environment and attracts many of their customers who stop by. The staff is extremely friendly and easygoing which makes the environment fun and exciting to go to. The prices are also very reasonable and cheap compared to other places on Maui as the prices vary from only about $5 to $8. The overall accessibility of Mo’Ono Hawai’i is great and makes the experience of going there easy and enjoyable. I will definitely be making more frequent trips to Mo’Ono Hawai’i in the future!