Faculty Q & A: Get to know Mr. Sean Wilson

Seabury Hall's animated math teacher Sean Wilson shares his love for math with his students.

Lauren Sieberg

Lauren Sieberg

Lauren Sieberg and Veronica Winham

Mr. Sean Wilson is distinct among Seabury Hall’s faculty. His loud, animated voice dominates the hallways, and creative, colorful ties are his sartorial signature. Wilson is the head of the math department, as well as a classroom teacher. He teaches four different classes: Algebra 2, Geometry, AP Statistics, and AP Calculus. His enthusiasm carries into numerous other categories, such as being a junior class advisor and mentor for the Math Team.

How long have you been teaching at Seabury Hall?
Fourteen years, since 2002.

What does your job entail?
As a math instructor, I have to teach five classes. I also have advisement duties, so I have to be an advisor for a class or small group of a class. I’m also a department chair, so that means I have a whole bunch of other duties about leading the department and organizing the teachers in the department, what they teach.

When and why did you decide to pursue teaching as a career?
Probably the first thought about being a teacher was when I was in college. I was doing a presentation as a senior and my advisor said, “Hey, have you thought about being a teacher?” and I said “No, I don’t want to be a teacher.” I’d never thought about it. But then it got me thinking, and after I graduated from college, I worked in a kitchen, and I decided to go back to school and getting a teaching credential was something feasible.

What is your favorite part about teaching at Seabury?
All the fun I get to have in class, I think that’s probably my favorite part. Interacting with the students, making them laugh, joking with them.

What is something interesting about you that students would be surprised to learn?
I have twins that are on the autistic spectrum. I also like to scuba dive. I’ve traveled to a lot of different countries too, like France and Egypt. I also went to Seabury as a kid.

Do you have any advice for students in planning for their future?
Think about what you really like to do because what you really want is a job where you’re doing what you want to do all the time. So rather than getting a job where you just have to go to work and make money to pay the bills, you want to go to work and do what you like.