Senior Eliza Wright looks to change Seabury Hall’s dress code with her petition

Olivia Hoekstra, Staff Writer

Eliza Wright, a senior at Seabury Hall, is looking to change the school’s current dress code with her petition this school year. She finds the current dress code to be unfit for the times and the Hawaii climate.

Wright’s petition is gaining notice. As of Sept. 20, the petition had 223 signatures. Seabury Hall has 456 students attending, so the petition had almost 50 percent of the student body.

According to the Seabury Hall handbook, the dress code for Seabury for tops is to wear collared shirts that cover the shoulders. The shirts must be either tucked in or extend below the belt line, and they cannot be skintight or see through. Only the top two buttons can be unbuttoned, and no inappropriate graphics or writing can be on the shirts. For bottoms, shorts and pants must have belt lops; skirts and shorts must not be higher than two inches above the knee. Students cannot were sweatpants or yoga pants.

For her petition, Wright wants to change the two inches rule for skirts and shorts to a more reasonable length. She also wants to change the no shoulders showing rule as she finds it sexist and frustrating. In a perfect world, she would love to not have the collar rule not in effect, but her main goals are to get the skirt length shortened and the shoulder rule taken away.

Wright said that she “believes that for this climate that the dress code does not work,” as she said she “wears flannels every day and her mother asks why she is wearing that because it is going to make her so hot at school.”

Wright’s main point are there is not enough options for the dress code, especially for girls on an island with only “a dozen stores” they can shop for school clothes.

Price is also a concern for Wright. She said many people already struggle to pay for Seabury and the school’s dress code can be very expensive,

From the petition, Wright hopes to gain recognition for the administration and to make a change in the dress code as she believed that the administration has to make a change because of the students’ general displeasure with status of the dress code.