Seabury Hall’s Dance Ensemble shares its talent with the school and community

Seabury+Hall%27s+Dance+Ensemble+will+be+sharing+their+talents+with+the+Maui+community+at+the+Common+Grounds+Dance+Festival+this+weekend.+

Jack Grace

Seabury Hall’s Dance Ensemble will be sharing their talents with the Maui community at the Common Grounds Dance Festival this weekend.

Ella Wall, Staff Writer

Seabury Hall’s Dance Ensemble’s final dance showcase for the year was the spring showcase with various pieces from hip hop, jazz, ballet, and theatrical. The event included all levels of Seabury Hall dance, and it took place this past weekend at Seabury Hall’s `A`ali`ikuhonua Creative Arts Center.

For more variety and culture, the Common Grounds Festival will be held on Fri. April 29 and Sat. April 30 at 7:00 PM, and on Sun. May 1 at 3:00 PM. It will also be held in the `A`ali`ikuhonua Creative Arts Center.

David Ward and Andre Morissette are heads of the Seabury Hall dance program, along with Vanessa Cerrito who is head of the ballet program. They are a group of creative minds who go above and beyond to bring their knowledge in theatre, costuming, and dance all together to create two shows every year.

Ward is excited for the upcoming events. “We are so isolated up here when it comes to working with other schools, so this is a great opportunity like the sports event to work with other people with a common passion,” said Ward.

The company also participates in fundraisers and festivals throughout the year. They participated in the Fringe Festival, Fantasia Ball, and at Iao Theatre.

Senior and Dance Ensemble member Emily Pluchos said, “That’s what I enjoy about SHDE is that we as a group will participate in things like this to improve our community. We use our passions to help other people. It’s a rewarding for both sides.”

Every year the Seabury Hall Dance Ensemble has a new energy in it. Ward said, “I’ve never had a group that has so much love for each other, and is able to dance as one with a common goal of bettering the entire group.”

The company has eleven dancers who are mostly juniors and seniors. It is like the varsity team of dance. Practices are on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays as well as ballet on Saturday. Practices consists of a warmup, and then dancers begin to build choreography or practice dances we already know.

Ella Markham, a freshmen in SHDE said, “The dancers passion reaches farther than just their physical activity. It is a constant art form, and we are always performing for an audience.”

Markham was nervous to enter a new environment of the dance community because it was different from Maui Academy of Performing Art. She’s never experienced such a welcoming family like this group.

Ward described the group: “When the energy of each individual unites as one, that is when we perform to our fullest potential.”

Whether it is performing in botanical gardens, traveling to Miami to participate in workshops, or inviting professional guest artists to Seabury, SHDE is always excited to learn and participate in different areas of the creative community on Maui, Hawaii.

The show is the talk of the town and let’s spread the word to have a great turn out. Come on down to Seabury Hall’s `A`ali`ikuhonua Creative Arts Center to enjoy the diverse dances!