Opinion: A letter to the Class of 2017: Things I wish I knew before senior year

Nani Wong, Staff Writer

As a senior at Seabury Hall who is about to graduate in four months, there are so many little things I wish I could have done differently. Most people think that junior year is the hardest year, but depending on how much of a procrastinator you are, senior year may not be as easy as you had hoped it to be. If you are a procrastinator like me, here are some tips I wish I knew to make your senior year a little bit easier.

Make your first semester of your senior year a little easier than you normally would.
Looking back, I think making your first semester of your senior year a little easier helps because of college applications. Don’t get me wrong, taking rigorous classes is great, but keep in mind you will have to deal with college applications that may include numerous essays, not to mention financial aid and scholarship forms. If you are like me and apply to twelve colleges, I would recommend taking five class during the fall and six during the spring. I did that, and having two free blocks and one study hall during the fall helped me manage my college applications a lot better.

Research a ton of schools over the summer.
Over the summer, Stephanie Walsh, Seabury Hall’s college counselor, sent out an email to all the seniors encouraging them to research schools and come up with a list of places you may want to apply to. If you were on top of things, you would research as many schools as you possibly could. I, for one, was not. When I got back to school, a lot of my classmates had lists of schools they wanted to go to. I realized that the work I could have done over the summer would have made my first couple of weeks back to school a lot easier. Take advantage of Naviance because it is a wonderful tool when it comes to colleges. You can look up any school in any state and sometimes even schools that are out of the United States.

DO NOT slack off just because you have been accepted to schools.
When you get your first acceptance letter, you feel as though all your hard work over the past four years has finally paid off. I know I did. That, however, does not give you the excuse to slack off in school. If your grades start to slip, colleges that have already accepted you may take note of that and revoke your acceptance letter. So, KEEP YOUR GRADES UP! There is no shame in being an overachiever.

Do not over work yourself, go out and have some fun.
If you are planning on going to college, remember this is your last year to be a kid so be sure to spend time with friends and family. It is going to feel like seventy-five percent of your time senior year will revolve around grades, homework, standardized tests, and college applications, but that other twenty-five percent of your time should be about making memories in your final stages of high school. You will only go through high school once, so you might as well make it count. On the weekends, maybe you could go out to a movie with your little sister or go for ice cream with your best friend. There are also so many waterfalls and beaches you could relax at for a day. You should even go to school events, like prom, art shows, sporting events, and performances.

Class of 2017, just remember, as you approach your senior year, don’t stress out. Try your hardest but don’t forget to make time for yourself. Senior year flies by, and you want to make the most of it while you can. Stop thinking about the future so much and live in the moment.