Opinion: Under pressure: Constant stress does students more harm than good

Evan Houle, Staff Writer

We have all felt it, that dreaded feeling in the pit of your stomach, the one that makes you pull out your hair and lose sleep. Stress. A one syllable word that can turn a day upside down. With good time management you can dodge the bullet of stress, but often teenagers aren’t that lucky.

With school work, tests, sports, and a social life all piled into one surging storm of stress, many teenagers opt to procrastinate. This affects their lives monumentally, normally in a negative way.
Students often have the stress of homework weighing down on them, and sometimes this is fine. Unfortunately, once this stress is paired with grades, sports, chores, among others, it can be overwhelming.

In many ways, stress helps people. In some cases it stops procrastination and can push us to success, but I think the cons outweigh the pros in this situation. It is unhealthy to have stress constantly breathing down your neck, as it can change your attitude and personality in a heartbeat.

I don’t think individual people give stress to teenagers. The problem is the stress accumulated throughout the community. It seems fine if a teacher only gives 45 minutes of homework, but if every teacher gives 45 minutes of homework, then students end up being overwhelmed by all the homework that their five or six classes give out.

If our community, whether it is Seabury Hall or Maui, as a whole could ease up the pressure on students and/or teenagers, I think it would be helpful for everyone. Stress hinders success in many ways, so diminishing it might help students achieve their goals much easier.

Grades would most likely be higher if stress was lower. Without stress, students would be able to complete assignments much easier, and do better on them. With stress, they have to rush through one assignment just so they have time to do another one. Without all the pressure, they would be able to take their time, and overall learn more while doing homework.

Less stress would also allow students to pursue their passions outside of school more often. They could attempt new extracurricular activities that are unique for them. This would give students more experience in other activities and a way for them to fill their college resumes.

Another key benefit is that students would enjoy their high school years more. For me, stress is one of the worst feelings in the world. If that was removed from my life, or at least lessened, I think I would enjoy my high school years even more than I already do.

Stress levels could be reduced by schools or communities working together for the benefits of the student at hand. If teachers, coaches and parents worked together to make sure that the teenager wasn’t being pressured or overwhelmed, then the result would greatly benefit the teenager.

I think coaches could work together with schools more efficiently. They could make sure that practices are not too long, and the school could help students time manage their school work and extracurricular activities. Coaches could give their players a day off, so that they can work hard to complete school work, and then give their full effort to that team.

All in all, I think stress hinders the success of students in school and in extracurricular activities. We should all try and take stress away from each other because it will help us all long term.