Meet the cast of Seabury Hall’s production of ‘Twelfth Night’

Peter C. Swanzy

Camille Erdman (Viola), Zander Medrano, and Logan King (Sir Andrew Aguecheek) are just a few of the many performers involved in Seabury Hall's production of William Shakespeare's play "Twelfth Night."

Scout Weymouth, Staff Writer

Love is the common denominator in Seabury Hall’s most recent theatrical production, William Shakespeare’s “Twelfth Night.” The actors in the production have spent countless hours running lines and rehearsing, and this weekend is your last chance to see them perform!

Performances will be held on Seabury Hall’s campus in the ‘A’ali’ikūhonua Creative Arts Center on Friday, Nov. 20 and Saturday, Nov. 21 at 7:00 PM, and Sunday, Nov. 22 at 3:00 PM.

Directed by Todd Van Amburgh and set in the 1960s with costumes designed by Andre Morissette and Vanessa Cerrito, Shakespeare’s “Twelfth Night” is a comedy that will not disappoint.

Please meet most of the members of this talented cast:

Kaimana Neil (‘16)

What part do you play?
I play Malvolio.

What is your character like?
Malvolio is definitely the most extreme character in Shakespeare’s “Twelfth Night.” He holds himself to such high standards and expects everyone else that he works with to respect him and do the same. One of the most ridiculous qualities of Malvolio is his absorption in himself. One small compliment or thought can burst into a hectic scene as his self-love gets the best with him. While this serves as his biggest fault, it is also his biggest strength. He believes fully in himself and to do everything with the greatest honor that he can.

How has your experience been with this production?
Doing a Shakespeare play is always a tad tricky. You have to clearly understand every word before you can put the words into action. Once I got comfortable with the language, I was able to embody Malvolio with more integrity. Another part of this experience was Malvolio’s character. Every action he does is attached with some crazy idea or thought. Malvolio’s character is definitely one of the funniest parts I have played yet.

Is this your first Shakespeare play?
My first Shakespeare play was “Hamlet” in my sophomore year. Hamlet is definitely a different genre in Shakespeare than twelfth night, being that it deals with more dramatic and serious topics.

Heather Kelsey (‘16)

What part do you play?
My character’s name is Antonia.

What is your character like?
She’s a super kooky, independent, and daring pirate who falls in love with the character Sebastian after saving him out at sea, and getting to know him.

The production experience has been awesome. I’ve gotten much closer to the cast which includes people I was friends with before, as well as people I’m newly friends with. If anything, we’ve all bonded extremely from “Hell Week” and our first weekend of performances.

Is this your first Shakespeare play?
I have done the Shakespeare festival, but other than that this is my first real Shakespeare play and I’ve loved it. I keep getting more into character every time we run it, and I’ve learned a lot. I hope everyone gets a chance to see it!

Nanea Haynes (‘17)

What part do you play?
I play Olivia.

What is your character like?
My character in the beginning is mourning for her brothers death and then blossoms when she falls in love with the character Viola.

I have thoroughly enjoyed working with Mr. V. and the rest of the cast because they create such a playful and friendly environment to be in.

Is this your first Shakespeare play?
Yes.

Shelby Ferrier (‘18)

What part do you play?
I play Valentine, Duke Orsino’s friend, who’s trying to gain his favor. I also play a priest and a police officer.

What is your character like?
Valentine doesn’t have a lot of personality, but all her clothes are like powerful, rich lady elegantly sitting poolside, so that adds a nice touch.

The play has been a lot of fun to produce, and I connected with people I barely even knew before. There have been a lot of late rehearsals though.

Is this your first Shakespeare play?
I have been in every play or musical I could be in since sixth grade, but this is my first time doing a Shakespeare play.

Destin Altman (‘17)

What part do you play?
Curio, and the first officer.

What is your character like?
Curio is a servant to the Duke [Kalan Birnie]. We used to be best buds, but Cesario [Camille Erdman] is the new servant that took some of the attention off of me. The officer is just an officer.

I really enjoyed it. The cast was great fun.

Is this your first Shakespeare play?
Yes.

Kalan Birnie (‘17)

What part do you play?
I play the Duke Orsino.

What is your character like?
The Duke is said to be the handsomest, richest man in all of Illyria. He has, in the past, been a bit of a player/bachelor. But recently, shortly before the start of the play, he has fallen head over heels in love with the Lady Olivia [Nanea Haynes]. Because Olivia is in mourning, and will not have any suitors for seven years, I attempt to send some of my retainers (kinda hybrid butlers/entourage who hang around because of my wealth) to convey and deliver to her gifts and messages of my love. From what I understand, this is Orsino’s first time really falling in love. Orsino falls in love with love itself. He seems to be used to getting everything he wants and therefore, when directly faced with confrontation, he is upset. Over the course of the play, Orsino’s all-powerful love slowly moves from Olivia to Viola, whom I still think is a boy, until the very end of the play. When I do find out Viola is actually a girl, my love boils over and I fall in love with Viola.

I have really enjoyed this production. Everyone in the cast plays their respective parts fantastically. Camille Erdman stepped up as a sophomore in the lead role. As for myself, I have thoroughly enjoyed my experience play Orsino. As some may know, I have some interesting costumes, and they are, in a way, sorta fun. I love the pool element in the stage Mr. V has installed.

Is this your first Shakespeare play?
This is not my first Shakespeare production. I played Horatio in Hamlet in 2013. And my Shakespeare Festival scene last year was a scene from “Twelfth Night.” I played Sir Toby Belch, who is played by Zander Medrano in this production.

Marley Mehring (‘18)

What part do you play?
I play Fabian.

What is your character like?
My character is a goofy sidekick to Zander and Logan and I just help explain things in the play, basically.

How has your experience been with this play?
I have had so much fun in this play. I have gotten close to people I probably wouldn’t of if I hadn’t done this play. I’ve had a lot of fun and am really glad I did it.

Is this your first Shakespeare play?
This is my first Shakespeare play, but not my first play overall.

Camille Erdman (‘18)

What part do you play?
I play Viola, a shipwrecked victim who ends up in a foreign country and disguises herself as a man.

What is your character like?
I think what I like about Viola, and being able to portray through playing her, is that while she is in disguise, she doesn’t hold back in saying whatever she wants. But at the same time she is mourning for her brother who she believes died in the shipwreck. It’s intriguing to watch how she acts in this situation, both silently grieving over her brother’s “death” and not being able to share that with anyone because she is disguised. I really enjoy playing with that duality of the character, and I think it’s fun for the audience to know more about her than the other characters do.

I think I had a hard time grasping the feeling of this character, because of her complexity, but Mr. Van Amburgh knows the story inside and out and he was able to guide me along the process of connecting to this character. The cast was also very supportive and so inspiring to me especially Nanea, who plays Olivia, because we had several scenes together and she seemed to nail her character from the beginning.

Is this your first Shakespeare play?
Yes this is my first Shakespeare play (and my first real play since I didn’t do much acting in middle school)!

Maryann Shilo (‘17)

What part do you play?

In “Twelfth Night,” I play Nell, one of Olivia’s servants/attendants, and I’m also in the ensemble.

What is your character like?
My character as Olivia’s servant gets to be pretty bossy and no-nonsense. I follow Olivia (Nanea) around and take care of business. In one scene, I to get to shoo some of the boys away when Olivia tells them to leave which is a lot of fun.

My experience in his production has been awesome. This is my second big show at Seabury since coming in as a sophomore so now I know everyone and I think we’ve all really bonded. We’re a fairly small and very tight-knit cast and have gotten really close

Is this your first Shakespeare play?
I’d seen several Shakespeare productions before this and have a lot of theatre experience, but, yes, this is my first Shakespeare play.

Clair Peck (‘18)

What part do you play?
Sebastian.

What is your character like?
He’s basically the main character. he’s the twin of the actual main character, Viola. He’s a fun guy, he’s a really good guy. I can relate.

It has been really good. It’s actually my first high school play. I thought I would try something new, and it’s been super exciting and fun.

Is this your first Shakespeare play?
It is, but I am also doing the Shakespeare festival right now, and it has been super cool to work on both the festival and the play at the same time.

Logan King (‘16)

What part do you play?
I play Sir Andrew Aguecheek

What is your character like?
The best way I could sum it up is he’s an idiot. He’s a filthy rich idiot, whose only friend is some drunk who takes advantage of his wealth to spend on booze.

It’s been pretty great, lots of fun. I get to act with a lot of awesome people. Zander is such a great person to work with, and so is Marley. I get to make a fool of myself on stage, which is pretty fun for the audience to watch. I don’t know if I could say the same on my end. Just kidding, it’s a ton of fun

Is this your first Shakespeare play?
Well, I did a Shakespeare play back in middle school, but I guess technically I wasn’t really in it, they just had me sit in the back in one scene, and that’s it. Not sure if that counts. I did do the Shakespeare festival in tenth grade, but, yes, this is my first legit Shakespeare play.

Lily Pickering (‘17)

What part do you play?
I play the part of Feste, the fool.

What is your character like?
My character is very outgoing and silly, yet she is the wittiest character in the play. With all her lines there is an underlying joke, that has a clever meaning behind it. My character also entertains her bosses with songs that she sings throughout the play. She doesn’t care what anyone thinks of her

My experience with this production has been absolutely wonderful. It’s so great to bond and learn from others and meet new friends or connect with others you usually don’t hang out with. I also have found my understanding of Shakespeare has greatly improved. There’s nothing like the thrill of performing on stage!

Is this your first Shakespeare play?
No, this is not my first Shakespeare play, but my first high school production of Shakespeare.