Faculty Q & A: Get to know Kevin Yamashiro

Kevin+Yamashiro%2C+Seabury+Hall%27s+new+athletic+trainer%2C+helps+care+for+the+school%27s+student+athletes.+

Nani Wong

Kevin Yamashiro, Seabury Hall's new athletic trainer, helps care for the school's student athletes.

Nani Wong, Staff Writer

Jumping into a new job at a new school, Seabury Hall’s new athletic trainer Kevin Yamashiro fits nicely into the hectic gym life previously handled by Heather Mock. When walking into the trainer’s office, Yamashiro’s warm friendly smile greets you followed with a friendly hello and an eager attitude to help. Prior to working at Seabury Hall, Yamashiro worked at a school in California. Although he loved his job there, he felt the urge to come to Maui where he grew up and give back to the community.

What brought you to Seabury Hall, and how long have you worked here?
I always wanted to move back to Maui. I just kept it in the back burner. I just stumbled upon the position, so I jumped on it. I’ve worked at Seabury since July, the ending of July this year.

What did you do before coming to Seabury?
Before Seabury, I worked at a different high school in San Jose doing the same exact thing, an athletic trainer.

What does your job entail?
It entails the prevention and care of athletic injuries. Basically, I just help care for all the student athletes.

What made you want to become an athletic trainer?
My high school athletic trainer kind of sparked my interest. Playing volleyball in high school, I got injured and then my interest kind of built after spending time with the athletic trainer.

What is something interesting about you that students would be surprised to learn?
A: “Interesting about me? Well, when I was in elementary school, I used to collect origami books. And I got really good at it, but after elementary I stopped doing that.

How come you stopped doing origami? Do you think you can still do origami?
Well, because I got involved with sports and things, probably not.

Do you have any advice for students planning for their futures?
I would say to keep your doors open because sometimes you might want to do one thing but change your mind and chose something completely different, like before I thought I wanted to become a teacher when I was in high school. So, when I went to college, I went in undeclared because I thought I wanted to be a teacher. But I thought to myself, what if I want to be something else? Then I ended up becoming an athletic trainer, which is very different from teaching.