Faculty Q & A: Get to know Mrs. Erin Volner

As+the+associate+director+of+admissions%2C+Mrs.+Erin+Volner+helps+guide+Seabury+Hall%27s+applicants+through+the+admissions+process.+

Scout Weymouth

As the associate director of admissions, Mrs. Erin Volner helps guide Seabury Hall's applicants through the admissions process.

Scout Weymouth, Staff Writer

Mrs. Erin Volner has just completed her first year working in the admissions office of Seabury Hall as the associate director of admissions. Volner, along with Ms. Elaine Nelson, have already begun working hard planning for whom the future faces of Seabury Hall will be. Her office is located on the second floor of the Cooper House, where she can be found doing all of the things it takes to create a successful admissions process for the prospective students and families of Seabury Hall. Prior to joining the Seabury Hall community, Volner worked as a public school teacher for 18 years. She taught in kindergarten, first, second, and third grade classrooms at three different schools on Maui: Kamali’i Elementary School, Lihikai Elementary School, and Pukalani Elementary School.

What brought you to Seabury Hall?
I needed a change. I was looking to stay in education but to get out of the classroom and maybe work with older children. I knew that Seabury Hall was a wonderful school and a school that I would want my kids to come to. [Volner has a daughter, Cayley, in the sixth grade in Seabury Hall’s middle school.] When I saw the position opening, I decided to just go for it, even though I had no experience with admission, or even being in an office because I had always been in a classroom. I was so excited when I got the job!

What does your job entail in the admissions office?
I process applications, do interviews for prospective students , help coordinate the admission testing, help with the open houses, and assist Ms. Nelson in any way that she needs.

What is something interesting about you that the students would be surprised to learn?
I was actually the editor of the newspaper at Baldwin High School. It was called “The Baldwin Courier,” and it was in print!

Do you have any advice for students in planning for their future?
I advise students to take advantage of all the opportunities that Seabury has to offer, because they don’t know how lucky they are. I went to a public school and worked in public schools all of my years and coming to Seabury, I was in awe of all the nice facilities at the school. Plus all of the clubs, the dance, the acting, and all the different parts of this school are just so amazing.