Faculty Q & A: Get to know Ms. Bridget Tisinger

Ms.+Bridget+Tisinger+greets+Seabury+Hall%27s++visitors%2C+staff%2C+faculty%2C+and+students+when+they+enter+Cooper+House.+During+Halloween%2C+she+gets+into+the+spirit+of+the+holiday+by+decorating+her+desk+and+handing+out+candy.+

Rachel Gilbert

Ms. Bridget Tisinger greets Seabury Hall's visitors, staff, faculty, and students when they enter Cooper House. During Halloween, she gets into the spirit of the holiday by decorating her desk and handing out candy.

Rachel Gilbert, Staff Writer

There are many things that the Seabury Hall community does not know about Bridget Tisinger, Seabury Hall’s receptionist, who manages all of the many phone calls that come in to the school every day. Unlike the many new teachers and faculty that Seabury Hall has recently welcomed over the last few years, Tisinger is far away from the “newcomers” list; she has worked at the school for at least 26 years.

How long have you worked at Seabury Hall?
Haha. A long time. 26 to 27 years maybe. It’s the longest I’ve ever worked anywhere.

What brought you to Seabury Hall?
-I was looking for a job. I had left where I was previously, and I was looking for a job upcountry, somewhere close by that I could have weekends off, and I found Seabury Hall. I actually started off in the bookstore, so it was a part-time job. I was looking for a job for about a month, probably.

What drew you to Seabury Hall?
It was available. It was upcountry and close by, and I have always loved Seabury Hall. I grew up on Maui, and I had heard about Seabury because some of my friends went to Seabury, but I didn’t go to Seabury. It’s always been a beautiful place, and when I found the opportunity, I took it, even though it started out as a part-time job and I was looking for a full-time job. Within about a week or two, it turned into a full-time job.

What did you want to do as a career when you were in high school?
Not work in an office! But this is what I ended up doing. I didn’t really have a plan. It’s important to have a plan.

What’s something interesting that students would be surprised to learn about you?
That Filipino soap opera. A radio show soap opera. I went and graduated from Maui High school and went to Hana School with a class of 12 people. I love horror movies. I love all horror movies. “The Shining” was good. “Woman in Black,” that was good. “Fantana.” I have a strange sense of humor, so some of the movies that I pick, they’re scary but they’re funny to me. People may not feel the same way.

What was the Filipino soap opera radio show?
I was on that. Fred would write a script; he was a little Filipino man who owned a radio show. He would write a script, and it was like a soap opera and I read for the female part and someone else would read for the male part and we would sit in his garage and we would read the script for five consecutive shows that he would air Sunday morning at 5:30 AM once a week. I didn’t even know his last name. I got drafted for that because somebody said, “Hey, I need somebody to read for this part! Here! Come!”

Do you have any advice for students in planning for their future?
Here we go. Study hard. Study now while you can here at Seabury before you get to college. It will be much easier. I don’t have any really good advice. Hence the fact that I am working in the office and not as a teacher. I did not have the opportunity to finish college because my mom got sick and I left school and got a job and never went back, so there is my advice: stay in school! But I love my job, so everything worked out.