Opinion: Quizlet: A study tool that saves time and energy

Isabella Blair, Staff Writer

This year, Quizlet saved my life. Well, not my life, but my chemistry grade. Quizlet is a website that allows you to make study sets and quiz yourself on them. I would go so far as to call Quizlet my most helpful and visited school-related website.

This summer, I was assigned the task of memorizing the elements of the periodic table. I made flashcards on paper, the so-called “old-fashioned way,” so I could memorize the elements for the quiz we would take the first week of school. The day of the quiz, I decided I would study my flashcards before class to refresh myself on the material that I had memorized about a month before. At that moment, I realized that I forgot my flashcards at home! I had absolutely no time to make new flashcards and no one around me seemed to have the flashcards I needed. Luckily for me, I had an account on Quizlet, where I found a set of flashcards of the periodic table that another student had made.

Quizlet allows you to find study sets on the material you are learning that have already been made by people around the world. These sets are not always exactly what you want, so studying other people’s Quizlets is not always my study strategy.

Making study sets on Quizlet instead of the old-fashioned way is incredibly more convenient. Quizlet not only saves paper, but also saves time. Instead of hastily trying to create satisfyingly neat flashcards on paper, Quizlet allows you to type in pre-made templates that work for any possible study set. It is quick and easy to make a study set.

With Quizlet, you do not have to carry around stacks of flashcards. Quizlet can be accessed on your laptop or phone at any time, thanks to the Quizlet app for smartphones.

One of my favorite aspects of Quizlet is the quizzes and games that the website develops to help you study. Often, I find myself bored of flipping through the flashcards and testing myself that way, so I use the different quizzing features on the site. There is a feature that helps you spell key words, a scatter and race feature to help you memorize terms through matching games and tests of your speed. My favorite is a test that Quizlet puts together, consisting of multiple choice and matching questions.

The key to my organization this year when it comes to studying is Quizlet. I organize all my study sets by putting them in folders on Quizlet for each of my classes. This can be helpful when you want to collaborate with other students in your classes. You can share a study set with them, share a folder with them, and even create a class for your classmates to join and contribute to.

Quizlet is an essential tool that has helped me through many quizzes and tests. It would take a lot of convincing for me to go back to the old-fashioned way of making flashcards. Flash cards online are a blessing that will help me through the rest of my high school career, and hopefully many others.