Opinion: Don’t get caught committing these Seabury Hallway behavior crimes

Scout Weymouth, Staff Writer

There is a myriad of personalities who walk the halls of Seabury Hall each day. With the variety of different personas bouncing from class to class, conflict is bound to manifest itself.

We are all guilty of these crimes; I commit them, my peers commit them, and sometimes even teachers commit them. Whether it be blocking the hallways, swearing like sailors, or walking as slow as we possibly can, the members of the Seabury Hall upper school community need to realize that if we all became just a little more aware and polite in the halls, our daily transitions from class to class will be much more pleasant and enjoyable.

Crowded Hallways
The first crime I present to you is commonly attributed to the new kids in town: the freshmen. Although I do not believe the fetuses of the high school population are solely responsible because in my experience, this habit does not completely disappear in sophomores, juniors, and seniors. For some reason, people choose to gather in clumps right in the middle of the busiest hallways on campus, during the busiest times of each day. Not a day goes by that I do not hear indignant complaints and groans about the students blocking the hallways. A simple solution to this problem is to relocate those large group discussions to the two large empty courtyards located on either levels of the upper school.

Potty Mouths
The second crime I would like to introduce is actually against the rules, and once committed can earn a hefty amount of detention: swearing. We all know and love our fair share of people with potty mouths because the potty mouth condition does not discriminate. This dreadful habit creates a hostile environment during our short breaks, and although most of us in the upper school have become familiar with these words, it is still not socially acceptable to use them as freely as some do.

There are an estimated 1,025,109.8 words in the English language, and for some reason we still often choose from this small handful of the so called “power words” that seem to roll off the tongue a little harsher than others do. As members of the Seabury Hall community, we all have to remember that while at school we need to uphold a high standard of behavior. One of the key aspects of maintaining this is retaining an appropriate and respectful vocabulary in which we speak to each other.

The Cellphone Obsessed
The third offense in which we all at some point have accomplished does not seem like a big deal, but it makes our hallway interactions significantly more somber and gloomy. When students walk from class to class with eyes on their phones, I usually assume that these people are wishing they were someplace else, and that they are more interested in the people on the screen than their peers and friends at school.

This crime has the most simple solution of all: just look up! Seabury Hall is a school filled with beautiful faces and intriguing minds that are worth your time. In many cases, the only time you will ever get to see these people is in passing through the hall. This opportunity should not be wasted on any social media sites because I can personally promise that all the text messages, Snapchats, and Insta posts will still be there once you sit down in your next class (cell phone usage in class is not advised in lieu of usage in the hallway).

As human beings we will always naturally be irritated by each other’s bothersome tendencies, but above are just a few simple ways to minimize the irritation we all experience sometimes. School can be a difficult place to be at times, so a smile and a little consideration can go a long way for those who do not necessarily feel their best while walking the halls.