DVD Review: ‘Pitch Perfect 2’ is perfectly funny

Universal Pictures

Anabela Cagen, Staff Writer

If you are looking for a DVD to cheer you up after a long week of school, then “Pitch Perfect 2” is the perfect pick-me-up. None of the scenes are dull or boring; each is filled with funny moments whether it is making fun of world issues, such as women’s rights, immigration, and issues between countries, or making fun of other characters. “Pitch Perfect 2” is perfect for anyone of all ages who enjoys comedies or singing.

The Barden Bellas have it all: they are the first all-female a cappella group to win the national title, they are three-time collegiate a cappella champions, and they also perform for President Obama on his birthday at the Kennedy Center. Although it seems like this girl group is living the life, the unexpected happens on the president’s birthday. As Fat Amy swings from the silk ribbons while singing, her pants rip. This accident humiliates all of the Barden Bellas, Barden University, and the Institution of A Cappella and causes the group to be suspended from competing at the collegiate level.

Everything that was once theirs is stripped away; they cannot defend their title, go on their victory tour, or host auditions for their singing group. However, the Barden Bellas are still allowed to represent America at the World Championships and they negotiate a deal: if they win the World Championships, they will be reinstated.

The movie’s plot is basic; it follows the struggles of the Barden Bellas to make it back up to the top and defeat Das Sound Machine, the world champions, at the A Cappella World Championships.

Most of the acting in this movie is believable and captivating; however, there are some lines that do seem forced and disingenuous. Several of the characters are relatable, such as Emily (Hailee Steinfeld) because of how she interacts with her mother and she believably portrays a freshman who has to deal with college.

However, Anna Kendrick, who plays the main character Beca, falls short in her acting when she talks with the leaders of Das Sound Machine. Her character is supposed to feel intimidated, but is jealous of the woman leader’s looks, so she trash talks by complementing the woman. Although this is supposed to be funny, her acting falls short, so it just seems awkward instead.

Elizabeth Banks does a wonderful job directing, from the casting, to the plot, and to her own acting as an announcer in the movie. Her directing also causes the basic plot to become more exciting because there are many unexpected twists and turns. There are multiple famous celebrities, singers, and athletes in this movie, such as President Obama, Jimmy Kimmel, Snoop Dogg, the Green Bay Packers, all four judges on The Voice, and many more who all contribute to “Pitch Perfect 2” in a hilarious way.

All of the a cappella groups, even the Green Bay Packers, sing wonderfully and each song has a different and unique twist. The song the Barden Bellas perform with at the A Cappella World Championships captivates the viewers from the beginning by using clapping and snapping to start the song. However, the end of the song is cheesy because the girls perform with Barden Bellas throughout the generations.

The filming is the usual, high quality footage that is the same as pretty much every movie in theaters. However, they also use slow motion to capture the Barden Bellas on their retreat jumping into the water and time lapse to show all of the people arriving to watch the A Cappella World Championships.

Overall, “Pitch Perfect 2” can make almost everyone laugh and will cheer viewers up if they are having a bad day.

Our Grade: B
“Pitch Perfect 2”
Rated: PG-13
Length: 115 minutes
Genre: Comedy, Music
Directed by: Elizabeth Banks
Starring: Anna Kendrick, Rebel Wilson, Hailee Steinfeld