Library Unplugged seeks to help students destress during the school day

Linda Lindsay

Senior Emma Pilotin shows off a page she colored during Seabury Hall’s Castle Library’s Library Unplugged program.

Anabela Cagen, Staff Writer

The Library Unplugged program, started by Seabury Hall librarian Linda Lindsay, takes place during the last 15 minutes of lunch each day in the library. Students and teachers alike can immerse themselves in crafts and activities that do not involve electronics.

Library Unplugged allows students to relax and destress by participating in activities, such as coloring, braiding bracelets, and making paper towers. Students learn new skills from this program, as well as meet new people by participating in the activities and learning how to help others.

But the program is not limited to only arts and crafts. On Tuesday, September 8, Rebecca Serle, a Seabury alum and now author, spoke during Library Unplugged about how she became a writer and what she recommends to those who wish to pursue writing. Serle has published three novels and is currently working on her fourth, and she is working on making her novel “Famous in Love” into a television series.

There is much to learn from every activity at the Library Unplugged Program according to Lindsay. “The coloring part of this program was a technique to learn how to destress. We will also be doing things that involve design, so students get the opportunity to design different things,” she said.

Lindsay believes that students will benefit from this program by “getting a sense of balance and also skills that they can use after their school career.”

Both students and teachers in the Seabury Hall community should participate in the Library Unplugged Program because Lindsay believes that “[they] will learn skills along the way and meet people that have the same interests as [them].”

Library Unplugged has been popular with both middle school and upper school students. Emma Pilotin, a senior at Seabury Hall who has attended Library Unplugged, said in an email that she “like[s] the relaxation of it. It is a way to step back from my stressful day.”

Montpelier High School in Vermont has a program called Recess for High School, which inspired Lindsay to start the Library Unplugged Program at Seabury Hall. Recess for High School is required for students at that high school, so there are organized courses, such as knitting and yoga.

The Library Unplugged program will expand from coloring, building paper towers, and listening to visiting authors to other activities that Lindsay hopes will appeal to more students and teachers, such as having outdoor and holiday activities.