Seabury Hall’s boys tennis team turns great difficulties into amazing results

Three players are headed to compete in the state championships

After+an+amazing+season%2C++the+boys+tennis+team+will+be+sending+five+of+their+tennis+players+to+compete+in+the+2015+state+championships.+On+Thursday%2C+May+7+to+Saturday%2C+May+9%2C+Shayan+Shirkhodai%2C+Mackenzie+Wilson%2C+Silvan+Engert%2C+Chandler+Dobson%2C+and+Julian+d%E2%80%99Almeida+Santos+will+be+competing+at+the+state+tournament+on+Oahu.+

Emma Tarpey

After an amazing season, the boys tennis team will be sending five of their tennis players to compete in the 2015 state championships. On Thursday, May 7 to Saturday, May 9, Shayan Shirkhodai, Mackenzie Wilson, Silvan Engert, Chandler Dobson, and Julian d’Almeida Santos will be competing at the state tournament on Oahu.

Logan King, Staff Writer

Throughout this season, Seabury Hall’s boys tennis team has worked hard, resulting in a successful season. While they may have been hit with some challenges along the way, the boys tennis team has been able to push through and hit those challenges right back.

There have been many challenges for the team to face this season. The team only had a limited two weeks of preseason to practice, and according to Coach Paul Albares, that was “not very much to prepare a team.” Practice was also difficult, since the team did not have many tennis courts to practice on, despite the multitude of players.

Even during the start of the official season, the team faced setbacks. They lost the first game of the season to King Kekaulike. The boys tennis team was further hurt, when one tennis player suffered an injury in a match.

However despite the obstacles, the boys tennis team was able to get past the difficulties and dominate the season. Since the lost to King Kekaulike, the boys tennis team has went through major improvement through the course of the season. Many players who were unconfident had improved this season in both their confidence and skills. The boys tennis has improved so much that team has consecutively won seven games out of eight.

“We’ve been dominating this season, winning seven matches and losing only one against King K at the start of the season. But since that loss we have been winning consistently,” said junior boys tennis player Julian d’Almeida Santos.

The boys tennis team did so great this season that they were able to compete in the MIL championship playoffs. The boys tennis team had went through intense training, fitness, and footwork through the coming weeks before MILs. “We’re practicing a lot this week and we’re all individually getting ready and prepared,” said by Wilson a few days prior to MILs. All the work and practice paid off for the boys tennis team in the end, as they had successfully won the MIL playoffs against Maui High.

Another amazing success that the boys tennis team will be able to send five of their tennis players to compete in the 2015 state championships. On Thursday, May 7 to Saturday, May 9, Shayan Shirkhodai, Mackenzie Wilson, Silvan Engert, Chandler Dobson, and Julian d’Almeida Santos will be competing against 64 students in tennis matches.

This season, the Seabury Hall’s boys tennis team was a 12 to 15 man team that competed against different schools in competitive tennis matches. All of Maui school’s tennis teams are split up into two division for the competition: the eastern division and the western division. Seabury’s boys tennis team competed in the eastern division and competed in eight tennis matches against other schools.

“We’ve got a good squad this year. A lot of young players with overall got good talent,” said sophomore student and tennis player Mackenzie Wilson.

Paul Albares is the veteran coach for both the boys and girls tennis team. He has been the tennis coach for Seabury Hall for the past six years, and he is determined to improve each of the skills of the tennis players.

Albares is not the only person who leads the tennis team; the boys are also led by their two co-captains, Matthew Lugo and Bjorn Nelson. Lugo is a senior student who has been on the tennis team for four years and was also a captain for last years boys tennis team.

“[Lugo’s] been a very steady, mature, and inspirational leader for us,” said Albares. As for Nelson, this is his first year taking on the role of a captain for an athletic team. “He’s also been a steady influence for the team and he’s a very dedicated tennis player,” shared Albares.

Despite the difficult obstacles that faced their way, the boys tennis team was able to push through and deliver a successful tennis season. According to Albares, “the tennis program has been pretty successful during the life of the school,” and this year continues the growing development of the tennis team.