Words of wisdom: Advice from Seabury Hall’s seniors to the freshmen

Aria DiMartino, Staff Writer

We have all made a few mistakes that will haunt us for years to come, mess ups that leave us with no solution other than purchasing a time machine and going back in time.

Since they are reaching the end of their high school years, Seabury Hall’s seniors know better than just about anyone how much can go seemingly wrong in four years. Since time machines have not been invented quite yet, the best the seniors can do is to make sure the freshmen don’t make the same mistakes they have made.

A group of seniors was recently polled, and these are fifteen pieces of advice that they wish they had known four years ago. Every senior has had a unique high school experience; therefore, each has collected different regrets and life lessons. Not all of this advice is perfect and not every rule is necessarily true, but this is what the Seabury Hall class of 2015 wants the freshmen to know.

1. Don’t slack in your freshman and sophomore years: College may seem far away, but your grades in your freshman and sophomore years do matter and school will only get harder.

2. Don’t block the hallways: We are all trying to get to class. You’re making that really hard. Only seniors have earned the right to be obnoxious in the hall and completely block traffic.

3. Choose classes that you’re interested in and that will challenge you: Whether it be AP European History or Beginning Painting, take classes that reflect your interests and push yourself to work hard.

4. Your image is not as important as you think it is: Your reputation might seem important, and a rumor definitely feels like the end of the world, but it’s not. Focus on the things that matter to you and remember that gossip isn’t really that important.

5. Don’t gossip: Be nice to each other. Gossip is inciting, but it is always at someone’s expense. People will remember the way you treat them.

6. Experiment and find your passions: No one knows what their passion is straight out of middle school. Try as many clubs, sports, volunteer opportunities, and hobbies as you can until you find the things you really love.

7. Take leadership roles: It might be more work, but sticking to a club and ending up president will pay off on your college app and will make you a better leader in everything else in your life.

8. Follow your bliss: College is amazing for some and a nightmare for others. Some people love sports and some people like to write screenplays. Don’t let anyone else diminish your dream and remember that your future belongs to you, so pursue what you love.

9. Be nice to your teachers: Freshman are notoriously annoying, especially in class. It’s nothing personal, we were all freshman at one point. Yet being respectful and getting to know your teachers will pay of in the long run, especially when it’s time to get recommendation letters.

10. Don’t sweat the small stuff: It’s important to work hard and push your boundaries, but remember that nothing is nearly as important as you think it is. Whatever feels like the end of the world as a freshman might be something to laugh about in a few years or could completely leave your memory. Take a deep breath and remember that nothing is permanent.

11. It’s okay not to know who you are: There is a huge pressure to fit into a box in high school, and it may feel like everyone else around you has it all figured out. The secret is that everyone else is as lost as you are. People’s personalities and interests are constantly evolving, so just have fun, work hard, and things will work themselves out.

12. Insecurity will end: Not all of it, but a lot of it. There is a lot of time to change and grow, not only for the next three years but also for the rest of your life.

13. Don’t spend all of your time on school: Unless you’re aiming for an Ivy League college, there is no reason to waste all your time on school. Remember that school isn’t all that matters in life. Enjoy your teenage years and get get street smart as well as school smart. Learning about yourself and growing as a person is just as important as grades.

14. Get to know your class: Of course it’s not bad to have friends in other grades, but it is also crucial to get to know your own class. Once you become a senior all of your older friends will have graduated and it’s nice to get close to the people you will be graduating with.

15. This is not permanent: This is not permanent. This is not permanent. It may take a while, but every storm passes, no matter how much havoc it wreaks. This may be super cheesy and cliche, but it’s only because it’s true. There is no obstacle too large to overcome, and there is no losing streak that lasts forever. Hold on to the things that matter the most to you and do the things that keep you happy. Everything has a way of working itself out.